UAE claims to have destroyed three drones with “hostile” intent | Conflict News

0

The Ministry of Defense said it intercepted drones in UAE airspace, the fourth incident in three weeks.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered the Gulf country’s airspace over uninhabited areas, the country’s defense ministry said.

“The MOD (Ministry of Defence) announces the interception and destruction, away from populated areas, of three hostile drones that entered UAE airspace at dawn today,” it said. said the Ministry of Defense on its official Twitter account on Wednesday.

“The MOD confirms that it is ready to face any threat and is taking all necessary measures to protect the State and its territory.”

The Gulf state has faced several attacks in recent weeks, including a third missile attack on Monday during a visit by the Israeli president, prompting US intervention.

The United States deployed Patriot interceptors to thwart the attacks, according to White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki. The Pentagon later said UAE surface-to-air missiles shot down the incoming missile.

Yemen’s Houthi movement aligned with Iran has claimed responsibility for the last three attacks. The group says it will continue to attack the United Arab Emirates, the region’s commercial and tourist hub, until it stops interfering in Yemen.

The UAE has significantly reduced its military presence in Yemen since 2019, but it still projects power through large local forces that it has built up and armed.

Drone attack claimed by Houthi rebels targeting key oil facility in Abu Dhabi kills three people [Satellite image provided by Planet Labs PBC via AP]

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 after the Houthis ousted the internationally recognized government from the capital, Sanaa and most of northern Yemen.

The United States said on Tuesday it was sending fighter jets to help the United Arab Emirates after missile and drone attacks. The Saudi-led coalition has carried out several airstrikes in Yemen, including on a prison, killing dozens of people since the first attack on the United Arab Emirates last month.

The US State Department urged Americans last month to reconsider travel plans due to the threat of missile or drone strikes. The UK warned in a travel advisory on Wednesday that “further attacks are very likely”.

While the United Arab Emirates, which does not directly border Yemen, has not been a major target of Houthi attacks since 2015 – when they began fighting in Yemen as part of a military coalition led by the Saudi Arabia – A January 17 attack by the Houthis appeared to signal a distinct strategic shift for the rebel group.

The escalation has raised fears of a worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen, where the World Food Program has warned that more than five million people are on the brink of starvation and another 50,000 live in near-famine conditions.

Some four million people have been internally displaced during the fighting over the years.

Share.

Comments are closed.